Send Coupon as a Barcode
To send coupons from a coupon list as barcodes with the Barcode Generator.
It is very important to test the barcode that Engage generates on the destination scanning device before message sendout. The selected barcode type must support the string of characters to be transformed and have the appropriate resolution and output format for the device on which it is scanned.
The Coupon Manager is a billable feature that must be activated for your system. The Barcode Generator is included in the Coupon Manager feature for no additional charge. To activate the Coupon Manager, contact your customer service representative.
The coupon codes are created by your shop or CRM system as a TXT or CSV file and uploaded to the desired coupon list in Engage.
The barcodes are generated from the desired coupon list
Permissions 172: View and edit all barcodes or 170: View and edit own barcodes or 171: View all barcodes.
In Engage, coupons are managed in coupon lists. To ensure well organized coupon management, each coupon list should only contain one type of coupon (for example, free shipping or 25% discount).
Engage creates barcodes from the coupons and controls the distribution to message recipients. Use of a barcode coupon makes it possible to integrate offline offers into an email message. A coupon can only be sent one time to one recipient. (see Add Coupons to a Message).
The system that creates the coupon regulates valid use of the coupon for a purchase or order.
Only the barcodes which the user has permission to view are visible in the Barcodes Overview window. A barcode must be visible to add it to a message.
For this reason, the user must have at least permission 171: View all barcodes to send a barcode in a message.
Send coupons as a barcode
- Create a new message in the Compose Message window or with the CMS (see Email Messaging).
The message can be created in any message type (email, SMS, fax) or format (HTML, text).
- In the Compose Message window, click the Engage Variables button.
⇒ The Engage Variables slider opens.
- In the Category drop-down list, select Barcodes.
- Send the message.
⇒ All available barcodes display.
- Click the symbol next to the barcode created from the desired coupon list. Keep the mouse button pressed down and drag the Engage Variable into the message editor.
- Release the mouse button to insert a placeholder into the message where the barcode coupon should be displayed.
- Preview the barcode coupon placement and prepare the message for sendout (see Email Message Preview (window) and Configuration for Sendout).
Send the message
⇒ A barcode is generated for each coupon and inserted individually into the message during sendout.
In most cases it is desirable to allow recipients to forward a barcode coupon. However, it is possible to suppress the portion of the forwarded message which contains the coupon code with a conditional statement (see Forward a Coupon Message).