Getting Started: Marketing Automation
This training chapter introduces the basics of Marketing Automation.
Marketing Automation Overview
Marketing Automation enables you to target every user individually. For this, you have to create campaigns in Marketing Automation, which are being controlled through rules. An in-depth analysis of this campaign can be made in Mapp Intelligence.
Marketing Automation is divided into:
- Onsite Marketing Automation
allows individual adjustments to the own webpage or app.
- Offsite Marketing Automation
serves to address users on other webpages and to animate them to return to the webpage.
Onsite Marketing Automation
Marketing Automation makes it possible to show customers specific product suggestions (Recommendations), layers, and banners on your website.
Any banner can be shown dynamically.
Common use cases:
- Show to new users a banner, which emphasizes the advantages of your webpage.
- Show to existing customers an appropriate banner, which can be based on the gender or viewed/bought products.
The banner must be saved on an external server – Marketing Automation does not support Adserver functionalities.
Arbitrary HTML elements can be displayed dynamically on your website.
Common use cases:
- Show new visitors the form for the newsletter registration.
- When being in the checkout, available payment methods are adjusted for each customer group.
Layers are displayed above the actual website and can be activated using freely configurable filters.
- New users, who want to leave the page (moving the mouse to the top out of the website), will be shown a layer with a newsletter.
- Users on a product detail page with no interaction for a certain time will be offered help through a chat.
Recommendations show product suggestions. Through Rules you can determine, which products are being shown.
Commonly used rules:
- Topseller – most frequently bought products of a certain category.
- Appropriate products to viewed or bought products.
- Most recently products put into the shopping cart without being bought.
- Most recently viewed products without being bought.
More than one of these rules can be combined in one Recommendation.
- Rules and campaigns are assigned different priorities. If slots for products are open, they will be filled with the next highest rule/campaign.
To evaluate the success of a Recommendation campaign, it is recommended to compare:
- Is the performance better than without a campaign?
The Control Group sees no campaign.
All other users belong to the Treatment Group and see the individually defined campaign.
- The ratio of the Control Group and Treatment Group can be adjusted at any time.
- The performance of the Treatment Group should always exceed the performance of the Control Group.
Offsite Marketing Automation
Offsite Marketing Automation serves to address users on other webpages and to animate them to return to the webpage.
- Audience Stream
From Mapp collected information is used to generate remarketing lists. It allows you to individually adjust bids in search engine ads. Hence you could offer more money for users, who most likely will generate higher revenue, than users, who have canceled many orders.
Directly in Marketing Automation, there is a performance overview.
- Through a link, it is possible to call detailed analyses in Mapp Intelligence.
- Compare the performance of Placements, Campaigns, and Treatment/ Control Group.
The frequency of each campaign can be limited.
There are four different kinds of Frequency Caps:
- Per day and user: How often should a campaign be shown per visitor on a day at maximum?
- Per user session: How often should a campaign be shown per visit at maximum?
- Per time frame: How often should a campaign be shown in a specific time period at maximum?
- Per user total: How often should a campaign be shown overall to a visitor at maximum?
All four kinds can be combined with each other. They are available for the following types of content:
|Per day and user||Per user session||Per time frame||Per user total|
|Custom HTML||Custom HTML||Custom HTML||Custom HTML|